Thursday, June 11, 2009

Welcome!

Welcome to OneBrownGirl.com®'s first online focus group: "Talking White!" I am Tracey, the creator of OneBrownGirl.com® and the facilitator for this focus group. (That's not my picture down below. Just a welcoming smile. LOL.) If you have made it to this blog address, you have been selected to participate in what is very likely going to be an interesting (and emotional) dialogue about racial slurs. Based on your emails, we all have a number of things in common, one of which is our agrement that there is no such thing as "talking (or behaving) White." Yuk. Again, welcome, and thank you! I appreciate your point of view.

My story is like all of yours in that I grew up being bullied (because that's how I view it) by children, young adults and later older adults about the way that I speak and/or behave and based on my experiences and environment growing up. To put it simply -- and to use a popular colloquialism -- I'm over it!

I am working on a 'How To' book for young Brown Girls (and young Brown men) that find themselves in a similar situation and this focus group will be used for research. As you know, Brown runs the gamut from Latina to African to South Asian to Polynesian and a mix of any and all of these fabulous ethnicities. In addition, I will share the results of this blog (after it is completed) with OBG Subscribers in the interest of getting people to start thinking about how a few words can negatively affect a young person; and how that young person might carry those feelings into adulthood. There is much to discuss!

If you haven't done so already, kindly sign up as a Follower to this blog so that you can get information when it posts. We'll go over the basic requirements as soon as everyone that has been invited signs in. If you have any preliminary comments, please feel free to respond to the post thread. And although I'm sure I don't have to say this, please be polite and do not advertise or promote your product or services.

Again, welcome....and you'll hear from me again soon!

Tracey =)
OneBrownGirl.com®

No comments:

Post a Comment